23 September 2012 | 1 Comment
UPDATE: The most recent version of this list is updated on an ongoing basis here.
Over time, I’ve accumulated a list of mechanics that reflects the 12 Tenets of Board Games that I believe in (you can read about how these specifically apply to my game, Viticulture, in the FAQ section of my Kickstarter page):
- Quick setup/easy to learn.
- Balances, not checks for close games.
- Conflict, not hostility.
- Choices, not luck.
- Unique production/creation.
- Variable turn order.
- Fast pace/smooth flow.
- Multiple paths to victory.
- Point-based end-game trigger.
- Reasonable duration.
These are different for everyone. What are your tenets of great board games?