7 July 2013 | 25 Comments
I love spreadsheets and stats, and I love transparency (when it comes to my Kickstarter projects, not clothing). So I thought I’d share with you various stats from my Euphoria Kickstarter project today, along with some links to past Kickstarter Lessons that I attribute to certain aspects of these stats.
Let’s start off with a quick overview of Euphoria project numbers:
Below are the stats that fellow creators will find the most useful: Shipping. If you want a full explanation of shipping, please see this post. All shipping costs per unit include freight shipping and individual package shipping. “Deluxe” and “Supreme” were the two different full-Kickstarter versions of the games.
I actually thought there would be a greater increase in international backers compared to US backers for Euphoria, given the free shipping, but it was only a 12% increase.
My lesson learned from these numbers is that free shipping is great, but I might need to break down “EU” a little more. On Euphoria, all shipping to the EU was free, but as you can see, the shipping costs to the EU from Amazon.de greatly differ. My Kickstarter philosophy is to find the best possible shipping option for backers and then to charge those backers for what they’re getting. I didn’t quite follow through on that philosophy for Central EU backers, whom I didn’t charge for shipping beyond the $12 I included in their $49 pledge.
Kicktraq does an amazing job of tracking Kickstarter stats by day. Euphoria had a fairly standard progression for a second project–big Day 1 and 2, big final two days, steady in the middle. The key is that we attracted a steady stream of backers every day–we didn’t hit a stagnant period. It’s hard to attribute one overriding factor to that, but I think a lot of it had to do with blogger/reviewer outreach and having an effective project page and reasonable reward levels for all the backers who stumbled upon the project from Kickstarter or BGG. Also, I think the personal contact I had with backers throughout the project and the exciting stretch goals gave backers good reasons to share the project.
The project video had a decent number of completed plays. I’d really like to get the project video closer to 2 minutes, but it’s hard to pack in all the necessary content!
I’ll end with a long screenshot from my Kickstarter dashboard that shows how backers discovered the project. Now, keep in mind that these stats are far from perfect. Kickstarter has a way of changing the referrer from the actual blog or website to Kickstarter. But hopefully you’ll find some utility in these numbers. Rows in green are Kickstarter related.