Tuscany Essential Edition (rulebook) features 3 expansions to Viticulture Essential:
- 1 extended board (matte, double-sided) and 36 wooden stars
- 6 structure mats and 36 structure cards (44 x 67 mm)
- 11 special worker cards (63 x 88 mm) and 2 special worker meeples per player (plus 2 generic)
There are also 9 special worker promo cards (63 x 88 mm) that are available from Meeplesource.
Removed Expansions: Which expansions were removed from the original version of Tuscany and why?
The clickable graphic in the sidebar shows in yellow and red the expansions that were removed from Tuscany. Some of them are now found in the Viticulture Essential Edition, while others are going out of print.
We’re cutting the expansions in red (and, not shown on the box, the structure crossover bonus pack) because they’re not essential to the Tuscany expansion experience, and including them would double the price of Tuscany Essential. You can download the non-essential expansions here. We have no plans to reprint those expansions.
Rules: Are there any rule changes between Tuscany and Tuscany Essential?
The only overarching change is that Tuscany Essential is intended to be combined with Viticulture all at once (or as modules to pick and choose), while the original Tuscany expansions unlocked one by one. If you have Tuscany, you already have everything (plus a lot of other stuff) that is in Tuscany Essential.
The only component change from Tuscany to Tuscany Essential is the new extended board is matte instead of glossy.
Also, the Tuscany Essential rulebook now lists an official variant (recommended for 2-player games) in which the influence map on the game board does not contribute to end-game scoring.
Other questions about the original Tuscany are answered here, and various versions of the original rulebook are here. Reviews of the original Tuscany are here, and a gallery of images is here. There’s a list of videos about the original Tuscany here, and the BoardGameGeek link is here.
Compatibility: Is Tuscany Essential compatible with any edition of Viticulture?
Viticulture Essential is recommended for use with Tuscany Essential, but older versions of Viticulture will work fine too. There is no overlap between Viticulture Essential and Tuscany Essential. The Viticulture Essential Upgrade Pack is a cost-effective way to upgrade your second-edition copy of Viticulture to an Essential Edition.
Meeples: Why doesn’t Tuscany Essential include all of the original special worker meeples?
As we budgeted for the Tuscany Essential Edition, we realized just how expensive 66 large, silkscreen printed, custom wooden meeples are. Including them would have increased the MSRP of Tuscany Essential to $50, which is too expensive.
The gameplay of the special workers expansion is exactly the same, as there are still 11 special worker cards. It’s just that there are only 2 types of meeples to represent those abilities. There are 2 in each color (one man [former Farmer] and one woman [former Innkeeper]), as well as 1 of each in grey. The 2 grey workers will be assigned to the 2 special worker cards drawn at the beginning of the game so players know which worker has the corresponding ability.
Other Questions: Where can I ask them?
Please post questions in the comments below or on the Viticulture/Tuscany Facebook Group.
Why did I pre-order this instead of waiting for retailers to receive Tuscany Essential?
The main reason is that you might be waiting quite a long time for the next print run if you didn’t pre-order. We expect nearly all copies of Tuscany Essential to go directly to participating retailers. Those retailers will fulfill their pre-order customers right away and then wait for the official release date to sell to other customers. After that, we may or may not make another print run–it all depends on demand. Also, if you pre-ordered during the campaign, you got the 9 promo cards for free.
Here’s a detailed explanation of how this system benefits both customers and retailers.
Other Products: Can I order Moor Visitors or Viticulture Essential? What about the metal coins?
Depending on the retailer, they may offer Moor Visitors or Viticulture Essential. The metal coins are only available directly from us here.
How to Buy Tuscany Essential
If your favorite retailer (online or local) isn’t on the following list, ask your preferred retailer to carry Tuscany Essential.
- Arizona (Tucson): Isle of Games
- California (Santa Clara): Isle of Gamers
- Colorado (Colorado Springs): Petrie’s Family Games
- Connecticut (Newington): Your Friendly Neighborhood Tabletop Shop
- District of Columbia: Labyrinth Games & Puzzles
- Florida (Maitland): Coolstuffinc.com
- Georgia (Braselton): Meeple Madness
- Illinois (Chicago): Cat & Mouse Games
- Illinois (Plainfield): The Wandering Dragon Game Shoppe
- Indiana (New Albany): Cardhaus Games
- Minnesota (St. Paul): Level Up Games
- Missouri (St. Louis): Miniature Market
- Nebraska (Omaha): Spielbound Board Game Cafe
- New Hampshire (Portsmouth): Diversions Puzzles & Games
- North Carolina (Wilmington): Cape Fear Games
- Ohio (Dublin): Beyond the Board
- Oregon (Portland): Funagain Games
- Oregon (Portland): Guardian Games
- Oregon (Portland): Cloudcap Games
- Oregon (Aloha): Rainy Day Games
- Pennsylvania (Leola): Game Surplus
- Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh): Games Unlimited
- Pennsylvania (West Chester): The Games Keep, LLC
- Washington (Ellensburg): Central City Comics
- Washington (Seattle): Card Kingdom/Mox Boarding House
- Wisconsin (Middleton): I’m Board! Games & Family Fun
- Wisconsin (Milwaukee): Board Game Barrister, LLC
- Board Game Barrister, LLC
- Cape Fear Games
- Cardhaus Games
- Cat & Mouse Games
- Funagain Games
- Game Surplus
- Hobbytown USA
- Isle of Gamers
- Miniature Market
- Noble Knight Games
- Belgium (Ghent): Spelgezel
- Germany (Wardenburg): Milan-Spiel
- Poland (Blonie): Planszostrefa.pl
- Poland (Warsaw): Planszomania.pl
- Sweden (Stockholm): Alphaspel
- Sweden (Stockholm): Dragon’s Lair
- United Kingdom (Hampshire): Board Game Extras
- United Kingdom (Oxford): Thirsty Meeples
- United Kingdom: The Ludoquist
- Belgium: Boardgameshop.eu
- Belgium: Lotana bvba
- Belgium: Spelgezel
- Belgium: Spelonk.be
- Denmark: Snydepels
- France: Philibert
- Germany: Bestpricegeek
- Germany: Docsmagic.de
- Germany: Milan-Spiel
- Germany: Spielgilde
- Netherlands: SpelExpert
- Poland: Mepel
- Poland: Planszomania.pl
- Poland: Planszostrefa.pl
- Romania: Regatul Jocurilor
- Spain: Juegos de mesa Top
- Spain: Planetongames.com
- Sweden: Alphaspel
- Sweden: Dragon’s Lair
- United Kingdom: Board Game Extras
- United Kingdom: The Board Game Hut Ltd
- United Kingdom: The CCG and Boardgame Social
- United Kingdom: Thirsty Meeples
- Alberta (Edmonton): The Gamers’ Lodge
- Alberta (St. Albert): Mission: Fun & Games
- British Columbia (Vancouver): Starlit Citadel
- Ontario (London): GeekStop Games
- Ontario (Toronto): 401 Games
- Ontario (Toronto): BoardGameBliss Inc.
- 401 Games
- BoardGameBliss Inc.
- GeekStop Games
- Great Boardgames
- Quiche Games
- Starlit Citadel
- The Zone: Games and Hobbies
- Australia (Melbourne): Games Laboratory
- Hong Kong: Jolly Thinkers
- Hong Kong: Welcome on Board
- Japan (Naha): Saikorodo
- New Zealand (Christchurch): Game Depository
- Philippines: Ludo Boardgame Bar & Bistro
- Singapore: Dueller’s Point Pte Ltd
- Singapore: Team Board Game
- Australia: Advent Games
- Australia: Blue Herring Games
- Australia: Vault Games
- Australia: Games Laboratory
- Hong Kong: Board Game Base
- Japan: Saikorodo
- Malaysia: Boarders Tabletop Games
- New Zealand: Game Depository
- Philippines: Ludo Boardgame Bar & Bistro
- Singapore: Dueller’s Pint Pte Ltd
- Singapore: Games4Good
- Singapore: Team Board Game
- Thailand: BGK