The Scythe encounter cards are in production and will be released later in 2018.
Below is how we structured this challenge for Scythe fans.
How It Works: From June 8-15, Scythe fans were invited to may a design for ONE encounter card using specific art. Jamey reviewed the submissions, selected his favorites, edited them when necessary, and is in the process of publishing them. If your card design was selected, you will be credited on the box and you will receive a complimentary copy of the card pack.
- Players must have options: There must be at least one option on each encounter that provides a guaranteed benefit, and the other two options provide highly likely benefits.
- Consistent with existing encounters: Each encounter must be consistent in terms of overall strength and theme with other encounters, as they’ll all be shuffled together.
- Consider word count and length: If you create a brilliant encounter card, but requires a page of text, we won’t consider it. Look at the samples below to see how much text we can fit on a card (4 total lines of text at most).
- Applicable to any configuration of Scythe: That is, the card you submit shouldn’t only apply to a specific expansion.
- Your entry must be in English: If English isn’t your first language, don’t worry–I’ll edit any entries that need language assistance.
- You may submit at most ONE entry: The Google Form will be editable through June 15, so if you need to change your original submission, you may do that by editing your one entry. If you submit more than one form, I will only look at your most recent submission.
- Stonemaier Games reserves the right to revise your entry: It’s actually quite likely that we will make at least small edits for balance, consistency, fit, etc. [Update: Jamey ended up heavily editing most of the entries, often mixing and matching options from various submissions. The creativity and humor among the submissions was off the charts!]
Important: Think outside the box for these encounters. A fairly standard encounter that is well written with a touch of wit may be enough, but we’d love to see some truly unique encounters. Some examples of this are encounters that give players a Factory card, provide some element of delayed gratification, connect with specific expansions (but still apply to those who just have the core game), and offer new interactions with player/faction mats.